Friday, July 27, 2012

Introducing Jewell




I have named this doll "Jewell" she reminds me a bit of a gypsy with her bright colored clothing. I have listed her on  my Etsy shop. Jewell by Treenickel  I used my light box to photograph her and her photos turned out great. She was so much fun to create. I really enjoyed all the sumptuous fabrics I ended up using. She has such a sparkly personality you can really sense it through her expression and the bright colors she ended up wearing. I ended up changing her skirt 3 different times before she was finally satisfied with my choice. It has every color imaginable in it.


Isn't it weird how cameras will pick up things that you don't notice with your naked eye? I had to go back and look at her to figure out what the little line on her back was. It was a small crease in the gold mesh fabric that I could barely see. I was able to lightly touch it up with the tip of my iron and now it isn't there at all.
The hair I tried to use from my Mohair stash didn't suit her, it seemed too sedate for her personality. I had several different ribbons laying in a pile next to her while I was working on her and they practically shouted to be used as hair.  I stitched them all loopy into a long strip then sewed the strip around her head and added some wire with beads for accents to finish it off. She was quite pleased with her hair. So am I.
 I was stumped for quite a while on what type of footwear to use for her. I ended up making my own fabric for her slippers from bits of leftover material, yarns and ribbons that I used in the rest of her outfit. I knew I couldn't go wrong with colors that were already in use on her. I had a blast making the slippers although they were pretty time consuming. I think I spent about 4 hours on the slippers alone.

The doll body is from a Patti Culea pattern and her purple pantaloons with scallops are from a Barbara Willis pattern. The scallops look nice but wow! They were really a pain to make using satin and dupioni silk. I might do them again sometime using cotton fabric but not slippery, argghhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment