Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sophia

This was one of my first art dolls I made. In retrospect I would never have started out with a smaller doll like this. She measures 15" from top of her head to her toes. I spent hours and hours on her trying to turn all her tiny little body parts and stuff them. Once I got all that fun stuff done (no pun intended) The rest of her was a pleasure to work with. This is her, hanging out in my studio patiently waiting for me to share her with the world.
Unless I have a commissioned doll that someone is specific about details, I usually let the doll decide what her personality will be. By doing this it keeps the process of creating them fun and exciting for me since each finished doll is a new surprise. Usually by the time I create her face I am getting a pretty good idea where to go with her but sometimes they keep me guessing right up until I am almost finished. Iv'e had several dolls that I've thought, Ugh, this is hideous, it's going to end up disassembled for parts later. Only to have her turn out really cute and sell quickly. Sophia was a bit of a surprise for me. Her face has a certain mystique to it, I think her eyes are full of wisdom and her smile reminds me so much of Mona Lisa's smile, mysterious like she has many secrets. I expected her to be high fashion in her clothing but she seemed to demand bright, bold colors so that's what I gave her. her limbs are long and slender and with her coloring she reminds me of a performer in a classy Vegas show or a trapeze artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment