Friday, August 24, 2012

Lazy Days of Summer

Whoever coined that phrase obviously didn't have children. The last few weeks of summer are always so crazy busy for me. School shopping, things that have been put off all summer long because there is always tomorrow to get around to it, getting everyone back on some sort of schedule, etc..  However, for the sake of my sanity I have managed to sneak in a little time in my studio when everyone else was alseep.

 I was fortunate enough to have the most incredible Kate Erbach pattern shared with me. I was so awed when I first saw it that I immediately put the doll I was working on aside to play with this pattern. For me that is really saying something since I try not to have more than one type of doll going on at the same time. I love Kate's patterns, they are so easy to follow and turn out gorgeous. I'll try to find a link to the one I am working with now and post it here. It is so easy that a beginning doll maker could whip out a doll with no problems.

I have a packet of word charms that I have been saving thinking they would make a nice addition somehow to a doll. I've had them awhile since the perfect doll for them hadn't come around yet. When I received the "Treasure Keeper" pattern I was so excited because this was the doll I had been waiting for. I have 5 charms so ultimately I would like to do 5 theme dolls with them. They are:  ~~Peace~~  ~~Hope~~  ~~Love~~  ~~Dream~~  ~~Believe~~

I am currently working on 3 dolls. I think I will call them "Inspiration Dolls"  I'll share with you the progress I have made on them so far.


I wanted to make these dolls with all vintage lace and trims. With the antique textiles being so fragile I needed a solid cotton fabric for their base. This chaotic looking pile of lace is actually the layout of laces waiting to be fused to the cotton. Hard to believe a beautiful doll will emerge from this isn't it?



Here is the body of the doll all cut out, lace fused to it and the antique mother of pearl buttons sewn on. I almost forgot to put the buttons on before I sewed the front and back together. Yikes, that would have been a nightmare to add later!











Front and back sewn together on two of the dolls. They are finally starting to resemble something here.















One of them stuffed, two waiting in the wings. Wow, these gals take a HUGE amount of stuffing in them. I like to wait until I have all of my parts sewn and ready to stuff, then I will pick a good Netflix movie and spend the evening with Hubby watching movies and stuffing dolls.  He tolerates it unless I get a little wild with the fiberfill and it starts to migrate to his half of the sofa. Hmmph, he has no sense of humor in walking around looking like a giant lint ball from the dryer.








They still need heads and their wings, then they will REALLY take on a personality but here is what I have so far. I'm actually quite pleased with them.

~~LOVE~~
 This doll is ~~LOVE~~ I still have all the pins in her until I am certain I have her positioned where I want her arms. I am not entirely satisfied with her sleeves and I think I'll end up changing them somehow. Her heart is distressed red velvet, I do like it but I'm not sure if it will stay or not. What I really want is vintage pink velvet but I don't have the right shade. If I go brunette with her hair the red will look fine. Otherwise I think it is going to be way to bold for her personality.



~~Believe~~
This doll is ~~Believe~~ Her arms are not at all positioned yet. I will angle them outwards and she will be holding a floral swag of ribbon roses. (At least that is the plan at this point, dolls have been known to demand things other than what was planned.) I'm not sure if she will have sleeves or not. I'm kinda liking the sleeveless look with her.



~~Hope~~

This doll is ~~Hope~~ I am totally in love with her. I think she is my favorite at this point in time. She reminds me of a victorian bride.

The kids will all be back in school on Tuesday and I will hopefully be able to spend a little more time in my studio working after that. I'll keep you updated on their progress as I go.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I like Hope the best too. I can't wait to see them finished. Just fabulous the way you did the fusing of the vintage laces. I love working with vintage pieces. They add so much more character to a doll. Wonderful Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete